|Actionscript 3 Side Scroller Games Tutorial for Mobile Devices or Browser-Play
This tutorial covers every
step in programming the side scrolling Flash game above. Use the arrows keys to move the Ninja around and attack. Also included is alternate code to use with a mobile device's accelerometer (tested on the Android & iPhone OS).This tutorial teaches Object Oriented Programming, beginning with the basics of creating a custom countdown clock class, and then progressively gets more advanced. For example, we create a BoundaryObject that handles collisions against the boundary for both the player and any enemy subclasses. Once you've worked through the tutorial, you will be able to:
- Add new classes for different enemies
- Add new classes for objects like coins to collect
- Swap in new art to easily create new levels (just cut and paste, or draw in new art)
- Add more levels, including animation that the player could collide with
- Add more objectives (items to pick up, areas on the board to go to)
- Adjust how many enemies are on stage, where they spawn from, and how often
- Change the physics of the game, speed or attack intensities of the enemies
As always, all source files are included for Flash CS5 (or higher), Flash CS4 or Flash CS3
Interested? You can watch a short preview by clicking here or watch the first hour by clicking here.
This lesson is taught by CartoonSmart owner and instructor, Justin Dike.